A fine accompaniment with crispy Parathas or rice, this popular Rajasthani daal is spicy, tangy and is sure to get your taste buds rolling in the right direction.
- 1/4th cup bengal gram (chana dal)
- 1/4th cup whole green gram (green moong)
- 1/4th cup black gram (dhuliurad dal)
- 1/4th cup pigeon peas (tuar dal)
- 1/4th cup red lentils (masooor dal)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 cloves
- 2 dried red chillies, broken in half
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 3 tbspoil
Salt as per taste
- Wash all the pulses and soak for atleast 2 hrs. Boil with enough water, turmeric powder and salt till cooked well.
- Grind ginger and green chillies to make a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida, cumin seeds, cloves, and red chillies. When the cumin seeds begin to change colour, add ginger-green chilli paste and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, and red chilli powder. Add the tomatoes and cook until the oil separates. Add cooked lentils and water if required.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the garam masala and serve hot with roti or rice.