Baghali Polo - Enjoy the kohinoor persian dish as Baghali polo. It can be served with non-vegetarian ingredients.
- 3 cups of Basmati Rice
- 400 Gm. package of Fava Beans (Lima Beans can be substituted), must be peeled
- ¼ large bunch of fresh Dill.
- 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. of Yogurt
- 1 pinch of Saffron
- 3-4 tsp. of Advieh
- Canola or Vegetable Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 500 g of Lamb Cubes
- 2 tbsp. Advieh
- 2 tbsp. seasoning (salt and crushed black pepper).
- 3 tbsp. garlic paste.
- 4 tbsp. yogurt
- The first thing to do for this recipe is prepare the rice the same way you would for white rice. Once you have placed the rice in a strainer stop and pick up from here.
- Clean and chop the dill in batches.
- Here is my added step that made a huge difference. The first time around I didn’t sauté the fava beans; I just added them to the rice. SO, sauté fava beans and garlic in some oil for about 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add saffron water to yogurt as you would for the white rice recipe.
- Mix a couple of spatulas of rice with yogurt.
- Marinate the lamb cubes with yogurt, advieh, seasoning, yogurt and garlic paste and keep for 3 hrs.Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pot. This should be a thin layer. Add 3 tbsp. of Canola Oil. Give it a shaking so that water and oil mix a little.
- Layer the bottom of the pot with rice and yogurt mixture.
- Add a generous amount of dill and then cover with a small layer of rice.
- Then layer the lamb cubes.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of advieh over the rice. On top of it add a generous layer of fava beans.
- Then add a very generous layer of dill. Every recipe that you will read, will tell you to just layer. I always used to mix the rice and ingredients a little bit. Very gently with a spoon mix the rice, fava beans, and dill. Continue layering until you are out of both rice and the rest of the ingredients.
- Your last layer should always be rice. I like to sprinkle a little advieh on top.
- With the back of your spatula create some holes making sure that you don’t go past the yogurt and rice mix.
- Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes. Then place a towel over the lid, as shown above, and cook on medium-low for 1 hour.
- For this type of rice I suggest adding some butter or oil half way through the cooking process. Just melt 2-3 table spoons of butter and pour over the rice. You can also add some saffron to the butter. This will not only add a layer of flavor, but it will also give some of the rice a deep yellow color.