Kerala Thengai Saadham
Kerala Thengai Saadham is a coconut flavored rice of south India. The rice is also a traditional Tamil Nadu style of rice food for lunch.
- 2 cups of Kohinoor Basmati Rice
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp ghee
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sprit urad dal
- 2 pcs. dry red chillies
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- Cook the rice in 5 cups of water until each grain of the rice is separate.
- Cut the cashew nuts into half pieces and fry it in ghee until its golden in colour. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Now add the curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
- Add the black gram and dry red chilies (halved) and fry until its golden in colour.
- Now add the grated coconut and the ginger paste Into the above mixture and stir until the coconut becomes slightly brown.
- Add the salt and remove from the heat.
- Mix the above mixture with the cooked rice and add fried cashew nuts into it.
- 'Thengai Saadharn is ready to serve.