This famous Chinese dish is a favourite in India and has been given an Indian flavour to a certain extent to suit the palate better. Sweet and sour chicken is the perfect accompaniment for the traditional fried rice and creates a beautiful blend of multiple different tastes.
• 2 cups long-grain Kohinoor Basmati rice, rinsed
• 4 cups cold water
• 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and sliced in 1/2
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 3 tablespoons sesame oil
• 4 scallions, sliced thin
• 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1/2 cup frozen peas, run under cool water for 2 minutes to thaw
• 1 carrot, finely chopped
• 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
• Salt to taste
• In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
• Season chicken strips and add to pan and stir till the chicken is brown. Set aside on a plate.
• Add red and green peppers and cook for 1 minute.
• Stir in pineapple chunks, juice, sugar, vinegar and chicken stock and bring to a simmer and continue till sauce begins to reduce.
• Stir in corn-starch mixture and bring liquid to simmer.
• Stir in chicken strips and cook for 5 minutes.
• Serve over rice.
Not reviewed yet