The classic, traditional & mouth-watering Indian starter whose taste is accentuated by lemon, garlic, yogurt and spices. This dish can make even a simple meal look quite sumptuous.
- 2 pounds/900 g skinless boneless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup/120 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup/120 ml plain yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons/30 ml ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons/30 ml butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons/10 ml ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon/5 ml ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 ml salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 ml cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 ml ground ginger
- 12 6- to 8-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces. Combine with lemon juice, and salt in a bowl. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. In a separate bowl combine yogurt, garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne. Mix well and add to chicken. Toss, cover and refrigerate for about 3 hours. Preheat grill. Tread chicken onto skewers. Brush with butter and grill for about 6-8 minutes or until done. Turn frequently.