A nutritious and tasty dal, best enjoyed with some steamed Kohinoor Basmati rice.
- Palak/spinach - washed and chopped - 2 1/4 cups
- Moong dal or tur dal or a mix of both - 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder - 3/4 tsp
- Onion - 2 medium size
- Tomato -1
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Green chilli -1
- Salt as needed
For the seasoning
- Oil - 1 1/2 tbsp.
- Mustard -1 tsp
- Jeera seeds -1 tsp
- Red chilli -1
- Hing -a pinch
- Pressure cook dal with a pinch of turmeric powder for 3 whistles. Mash well and keep aside.
- Chop spinach finely.
- Chop onions, tomato, ginger, garlic and chillies finely.
- Pressure cook spinach for 1 whistle. After the pressure subsides, open and mash it well.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai, add the oil,mustard,jeera seeds,red chilli and a pinch of hing in the same order and fry till urad dal turns golden brown.
- Add onions, ginger, green chilli and sauté till onions become light brown.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and cook till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add the cooked palak, cooked dal, salt to taste, mix well and bring everything to boil.
- Remove from fire and add a tsp of ghee.