Mewa ka Zarda
Mewa ka Zarda is a delicious and rich Indian rice pudding enriched with dry fruits.
- 2 cups /400 gm Basmati rice , picked, washed, soaked in water for 1 hour, drained
- 1 cup / 200 ml Refined oil
- 4 cups / 800ml Milk
- 1-1/2 tsp /3gm Green cardamom (choti elaichi) seeds, powder
- ¼ tsp / ½ gm mace (javitri) powder
- ½ tsp / ½ gm Saffron(zafan), soaked in 2 tbsp hot milk
- ½ cup / 50 gm Charoli seeds (chironji), coarsely ground
- 20 / 16 gm Almonds (badam) blanched, peeled & sliced.
- 20 / 25 gm cashew nuts (kaju), sliced
- ¼ cup / 30 gm Raisins (kishmish),soaked in water for 15 minutes drained,
- 2-1/2 cups / 375 gm Sugar
- Heat the oil in a deep pan; when hot add the drained rice Stir and add the milk Stir to mix well. Cover the rice until it is cooked and the milk is fully absorbed.
- Mix the green cardamom, nutmeg and mace powders with the saffron milk
- Add the saffron mixture, charoli seeds, almonds, cashew nuts, raises and sugar to the rice. Mix well.
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and put in a preheated oven (100 C /212 F) for 10-12 minutes