Fried Brown Rice is a lighter version of fried rice that is also easier to cook. It's a perfect blend of vegetables, sauces and spices that makes for a dish that you yearn for, always.
- 2 tsp peanut, vegetable or rice bran oil
- 1 egg, lightly scrambled
- 1 cup diced mixed vegetables -- onion, bell pepper, Napa cabbage, etc.
- 1 cup broccoli florets, blanched for 1 minute in boiling water (or steamed in a microwave)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, any variety, chilled
- 1 tsp oyster sauce (omit for vegetarian, and use 2 tsp soy sauce)
- 1 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste (a pinch of each)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Heat the oil in a wok over highest heat, and add the egg. Stir quickly!
- Immediately add the vegetables, and continue to stir for 15 seconds.
- Add rice, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and salt and pepper, and stir for 1 minute; the sauce should be absorbed and the rice grains should be separate.
- Add the sesame oil, toss, and serve hot.