Also known as ‘Ishtu’, the Kerala Vegatable Stew is a traditional dish served with Appam. The simplicity of the dish and the balance between spices and the natural flavour of vegetables are what make it irresistible.
- Potato 2
- Carrot 1
- Onions 2
- Green chilli 3-4
- Whole black pepper 1/2 tsp
- Coconut milk 1 and ¼ 1 cup
- Thick coconut milk 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon 1 small piece
- Ginger a small piece
- Garlic 2 pods
- Cloves 3 curry
- Leaves few
- Salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes , peel the skin and cut them into cubes.
- Chop the onions into thin slices.
- Slit the green chillis into two.
- Peel the skin of the carrots and chop into pieces
- Crush the ginger and garlic using a mortar and pestle.
- In a pan, add oil and throw in the cloves, cinnamon, crushed ginger and garlic and green chilli.
- Now add the onions and saute for few seconds in medium flame.
- Add the whole pepper too
- Add the carrots and saute for a minute. Be careful not to burn
- Now add the thin coconut milk. I used the store bought coconut milk. As it was thick i diluted 1/4 of thick coconut by adding 1 cup of water.
- If adding green peas add at this stage.
- Let this boil in medium flame for about 10 to 12 minutes, till the carrots becomes soft. Add the cubed potatoes and add the thick coconut milk
- Mix well and bring it to a boil. Switch off the flame and add curry leaves and salt
- The gravy will be thick and if you want to make it thin add 1/2 cup of plain milk to this or if you want this to be very thick soak 7-8 pieces of cashew nuts in warm water and grind them into a smooth paste and add it in the last. Mix with the thick coconut milk and add to the gravy.