Kashmiri Pulao is mild and sweet, it is one of the easiest pulao recipes. Pulao is garnished with both dry fruits and fresh fruits.
For the stock
- 3 cups / 600 gm Basmati rice, washed
- 15 cups / 3 lt water
- 6 large bones from the leg of lamb
- 5 Buy leaves (tej patta)
- 15 Black cardamoms (badi elachi)
- 4 Cinnamom (dalchini) sticks, 2 each
- 2-1/2 tbsp / 10 gm Fennel (moti sauf) seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1-1/2 cups / 180 gm onions, sliced, fried until brown, drained
- ¾ tbsp. / 4-1/2 Black cumic(kala jeera) seeds
- 7 Green cardamons (choti elachi)
- ½ cup / 100 gm Ghee
- For the stock bring all the ingredients (except the onion) to the boil in a deep pan, Lower heat cover and continue to boil for 15-18 minutes. Now add the browned onions and boil for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool. Strain the stock through a muslin cloth to get 7 cups stock. Add more water, if required.
- Bring the strained stock to boil in a deep pan; add the rice, black cumin, seeds and green cardamoms bring the maximum back to the boil, then reduce heat and cook until the rice is ¾ done.
- Heat the ghee in another pan; pour in the rice mixture. Cover the pan with a tight lid and cook on very low heat until the rice is just right.