Marwari Gatta Pulao
Marwari Gatta Pulao is also known as Gatta Dry recipe. These are the famous dishes of Marwari region.
For the rices:
- 1 cup/100gm Bengalgram flour
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp / 3 gm Coriander (dhaniya) powder
- 2 tsp / 4gm Red chilli Powder
- 1 tsp / 2 gm Garam masala (standard, secp.16)
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml Refined oil
- 2 tsp Yoghurt (dahi)
- Refined oil for frying
- 4 cups / 800 ml Water for boiling the gattas
For the garnishing
- 1/2 cups / 300 g Basmati rice, washed in a number of changes of water, soaked in water to cover for 30 minutes, drained
- 3 tbsp / 45 gn Ghee
- 4 Cloves (laung)
- 1 Cinnamon (dalchini) stick, 1” piece
- 4 Green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 5 tsp / 10 gm Turmeric (haldi) powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp / 10 gm Raisins (kishmish), fried
- 10 Cashew nuts (kaju), fried
- For the Gatta, mix the first 6 ingredients well, ass the oil and rub with fingers, until well incorporated. Add a little water and knead into a stiff dough. Divide the dough into three equal portion. Make each portion into 1/2” thick x 4” -long roll.
- Boil the gatta rolls in a large pan and on high heat, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes. Remove, drain and cool. Cut each roll into 1/2”-long piece and deep-fry the gattas until light brown.
- For the rice, heat the ghee in a pan: add the whole spices and saute until the cardamoms change colour. Add the drained rice and stir to coat the grains with the ghee. Add turmeric powder, salt and 3 cup water. Bring to the boil. Lower heat, cover and cook until the rice is half done. Add the fried gattas and continue to cook until the rice is done.
- Garnish with raisins and cashew nuts.