Rich roasted whole chicken, stuffed with rice, Sind Murgh Musallam, is a party fare that should be relished with family and friends. This chicken recipe has its own significance and name in the array of mughal nawabi recipes.
Once the dish has been cooked carve the chicken into serving pieces. Serve with a small amount of the stuffing, scooped out of the cavity. Garnish the dish with herbs, sliced onion and lemon wedges to make it all the more tantalizing.
- 800-900 gm. Full chicken, without skin
For the marinade:
- 1-1/2 tsp. / 6 gm. Salt
- 1 tsp. / 6 gm. Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ cup / 85 gm. Unsalted butter
For the stuffing:
- ½ cup / 100 gm. of Kohinoor Extra Long Basmati Rice
- 2 tomatoes, large, blanched, peeled & chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1’ piece of chopped ginger
- 2 pieces of chopped green chilies
- ½ tsp. / 2 gm. Salt
- ½ tsp. / 1 gm. Black pepper powder
- 1 Egg, hard boiled & chopped
- ¼ cup / 50 gm. Yoghurt
- 2 tbsp. / 40 gm. Butter
- Wash the chicken and dry with kitchen paper towels, making sure the cavity is dry as well. Keep aside.
- For the marinade. Rub the salt and bicarbonate of soda into the chicken; marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tbsp. unsalted butter in a large frying pan; add the chicken, and fry till golden brown. Remove and keep aside to cool.
- For the stuffing. Mix all the ingredients mentioned and spoon this mixture into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the stuffed chicken in an ovenproof dish. Dot the chicken with small portions of the unsalted butter and roast in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius, basting regularly with butter until the chicken becomes tender.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and carve into serving pieces. Serve with a small amount of stuffing scooped out of the cavity.