Narangi Chawal is a kashmiri dish. With the layer of fried potato and yogurt mixture, it become delicious to eat.
- 250 g Rice, washed, soaked in water for 20 minutes, drained
- 2 Oranges (Narangi), cut in half
- 1⁄4 g Saffron , pounded, mixed with 0,25 cup hot Milk
- 30 ml Refined Oil
- 120 g Onions, sliced
- 6 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves.
- 1 grated Rind and juice of Lemon
- 2 g Caraway Seed (Shahi Jeera)
- Squeeze and collect the juice of the oranges. Remove the pulp and discard. Boil the skins in water for 5 minutes. Remove and cool. When cool remove the white pith and shred the skins finely. Keep aside.
- Bring 3 it water to the boil. Add 3 tsp. salt. Add the drained rice and bring back to the boil. Reduce heat and boil for a further 5-6 minutes, until the rice is 3/4 cooked, Drain the rice and mix half of it with the saffron milk.
- Heat the oil in a pan; add the onions, cloves, and bay leaves. Sauté until the onions are golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on paper towels.
- Now in a large saucepan first add the oil then the plain rice. Sprinkle the lemon rind and half of the fried onions and spices. Add 1 tsp. salt and then the saffron rice. Add the shredded orange peel and the remaining onions.
- Make a few holes down through the rice and sprinkle the lemon and orange juice and another 0, 5 tsp. of salt.
- Cover the rice with a moist paper towel and a tight lid. Cook on very low heat for 10 minutes. Mix carefully and serve.