Sarson Ka Saag
Sarson da Saag served with Makki di Roti makes for a perfect traditional Punjabi dish. The dish is made from sarson to which little quantities of paalak & bathu are added.
- 4 cups Sarson ka saag,chopped (fresh mustard leaves)
- 2 cups chopped Spinach (optional)
- 1 cup chopped Bathua (optional)
- 4 tbsp Pure Ghee
- 2 medium chopped Onions
- 2 inch piece chopped Garlic
- 4-6 chopped Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Cornmeal
- 2 tsp Unsalted Butter
- Heat two tablespoons of ghee in a pan; add onion and sauté till light brown. Add ginger, garlic and green chillies and sauté for a few minutes more. Add the red chilli powder, mustard leaves, spinach leaves and bathua leaves and continue to sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Now, add salt and cook on moderate heat for ten minutes.
- Add cornmeal and a little water, cook till the greens are soft. Cool slightly and transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process to a slightly coarse mixture.
- Heat the remaining ghee and butter in the same pan.
- Add the ground mixture and cook for five to ten minutes.
- Serve hot with makki di roti.